Sunday, February 7, 2016

Fake minority ( unfinished)

I'm  a fucking imposter waiting in your corner store bodega
The repeated lingo makes people think I'm frontin 
shit, sometimes I have to do a double take when I look at the mirror 
I bump to two-pac after my phantom of the opera album finishes 
Hardcore motherfucker, I don't even use tweezers when taking out a splinter 
Ya'll talk about Drakes new album release, 
I talk about the next chapter of one piece being released
Manga mother fucker, I ain't into that cartoonish shit. 
I'm so fake I feel uncomfortable when people call me the n-word. 
Still when shit pops off, I'll be the first one to square up
I wash dudes like I do dishes, 
begin all hyped and shit and then give up once I get to a stain I can't handle
I knew people who were in gangs. 
When I say knew, I'm talking a friend of a friend, that's only two degrees of separation. 
I still buy honey buns with my sandwich at work, reliving my middle school diet in my 20s. 
But it's not snails, it's escargot. And I traded Hershey for Nutella. 
I give dab all awkward and shit. Not knowing where to put my other arm, turning the entire ordeal into a "we're just friends hug" 
I'm as white as the driven snow. That's Langston so it makes it hood. 
Still every single day I find myself switching within my code switch. 
Constantly oscillating how hood I need to be. Because when I'm with my white friends I'm docile
and when I'm with my friends from the ave I'm savage. 
I guess I'm just fake. But if I chose to do me, like people always tell me to do 
I'd get outrages reactions like that time my friend was shocked when I told him I was jumped in middle school.
Or how about the time my friend told me I was too white to chill in Jamaica even though I'm full Puerto Rican. 
I don't speak Spanish, another strike against me. 
And even when people like the same shit as me they don't trust my earnestness. 
What you know about Salvador Dali? 
When could you have been exposed to getting light? 
I lean on the side of improper. 
However I find it easier to pretend to be educated than to pretend to be hood. 
I don't like platanos or what ever cultural dish you expect me to like.
I love mayo in my sandwiches.
I love hot sauce on my pizza.
And if I'm having a movie night you know I'm either watching Ferris Bueller's or Friday.
I'm a nerd but I have to keep that shit quiet.
Sometimes I'll drop references in my speech, test the waters before I start geeking out.
You might say that's just all nerds though.
But minorities get it worse because when we're outed as a nerd, we're stripped of our other identity.



No comments:

Post a Comment