Wednesday, August 19, 2015

But he made me mad, so I decided to be racist!

               This is a quick and simple post. Racist comments, regardless of how small and indirect are never acceptable forms of lashing out. The real community that needs to learn this is the video gaming community. I remember when I found it hilarious to make women jokes as I killed someone in Halo. Then I grew up and reflected on how much of a little shit I am. Unfortunately we still have a plethora of individuals who think that if someone is a jerk to them, then they have license to use any identity of theirs as potential comeback material. A girl trolls your game? Why does she have an x-box in the kitchen! Someone insults how you play? They're just a stupid illegal, hahahaa! Someone disagrees with your strategy or direction? You should just fucking kill yourself! Now it's not that I don't rage in games. I do. It's something I'm particularly bad at to be honest, so no excuses for me.I'm still  a piece of shit. But I always make sure I have my limits and typically it's refusing to make fun of someone's race, gender, socio economic status and mental health. Especially the suicide comments. I think those are by far the worst. I will tell someone, "god you're terrible." Or " wow you're straight trash." But I always try my hardest not to tell someone to actually hurt themselves. What if they actually do? You have no idea what mental state they're in. So if you're going to be dick, I can't really stop you lest risk being a huge hypocrite, but I will say keep all the extra stuff out of it. Make it about gaming and gaming alone. Or of course we could all stop being dicks and just not rage. But that last comment doesn't excuse or place equal blame on both forms of harassment One is annoying. The other possibly scarring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment