Sunday, May 3, 2015

When confidence became stupidity

           This is going to be a short blog. When did confidence become an indicator of stupidity? I feel in the "age of introverts", we find that the extroverted bunch,who are typically quick to open their mouths for the slightest infraction, are portrayed as obnoxious and stupid. They are made out to be akin to an abrasive frat boy who won't shut up in his introduction to philosophy course even though he clearly did none of the reading. But just as introverts (and the whole introvert vs extrovert dichotomy is annoying and false, but whatevs pop culture) use silence and deep introspection as a way of digesting material, extroverts use social engagement and out loud thinking in order to form their opinions. I am the guy who will talk about a movie the minute the credits start rolling and then have a completely different opinion an hour or two later. The discussion I initially have helps me digest and reflect on the content of the art. In this same vein, when I write on my blog I do so confidently, leaving myself with little wiggle room in terms of backtracking. I've seen articles and critics be essentially lambasted for speaking in what amounts to absolutes. Sometimes absolutes are fun to talk in. We all know they aren't true and exceptions exist, but when I say if you enjoyed episode 2 of Star Wars then we can never be friends, I strongly believe that statement might be true (seriously, even I will have the power to keep people from caring). This runty rant (alliteration!) was brought about by the criticism surrounding Moviebob. His reviews are poignant and in your face, often taking the form of intense criticism that is typically hard to verify or falsify. His work is thought provoking, but is rarely apologetic about its critical framework. People take that as "him thinking he's smarter than he is." But it's called having a persona in your writing. Nobody wants to believe you if you write a post talking about how you may be right in a field that's subjective to begin with. So yea, I write as if I'm right. I acknowledge inconsistencies and possible areas of confusion where I can't explain myself completely, but if you want me and anyone else who is unabashedly confident in their work to begin "toning it down" in order to appear pensive, then you're going to be waiting for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment