Monday, October 13, 2014

The two college model minorities

                  In college identity became a locus of turmoil and self doubt. I was in a college that held a majority of individuals that were different from my own identity. As a New Yorker I was used to a diversity that had bounds. Groups had locations that were demarcated according to nationality and race, so I always felt as if I had a choice. In the University I had no choice. What was worse is that many other minorities colluded to create a seemingly multi-faceted monolith. People of color they said! Different yet united! And there was a sense of camaraderie to be had. I mean we could always share over how we'd have to roll our eyes over the naivety of our uncultured peers when it came to eating out at our "ethnic" restaurants. But our differences were never pronounced. In college it became more about the monolith than about our own personal growth as a people. As a Puerto Rican on campus I found myself supporting movements like BBUM and UMDivest, feeling at the very least that it was my responsibility to support these movements as a fellow minority in the struggle. But I found it hard to distance myself from these movements in an objective sense. In college I feel minority groups forgot the power dynamics between them. Asian students held a significant majority in my campus and that was often reflected in the leaders I saw in much of the social justice movement. Furthermore, those Latinos who did not ascribe to every social justice tenet in existence was often set out to the side. It seemed that there were two models a minority in college could follow: assimilation into white culture or assimilation into radical social justice and borderline nationalistic pride. I wanted neither.
             If you are Latino at the University of Michigan, open your eyes to the dynamics in the minority and social justice community. Do not ignore the power dynamics that exist. I am not implying that minority groups are intentionally being oppressive of other minority groups. I am stating that the institutional privilege that some minority groups have on campus is often not discussed or accounted for. Yet we are more than willing to rally toward the monolithic term "minority" or "person of color". I am glad I very rarely hear the term person of color nowadays. I see people for their actual struggles and color has not become one universal term of oppression, but a million stories of racism that I can learn from. I do not generalize what I do not know. I can't speak for many, but if you are Latino at the University of Michigan, this post is for you. Take control of your own community. Do not assume solidarity. And do not generalize your experiences. I believe there is a model of solidarity that exists between minority groups at Michigan. It first requires the long overdue discussion of privilege and expectations that exist for certain minority groups on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment