Friday, July 5, 2013

The African Double Standard

            The international community and American political sphere has went crazy over the recent coup/revolution that occurred in Egypt. Everyone with a little political savvy or people who don't know when to keep their mouths shut (I consider myself in the latter group) have either picked sides or felt a need to keep close watch on the political future of Egypt. And I'd be a complete hypocrite if I didn't admit I was doing the same. I immediately sided with the democratic process (i.e. sure Morsi may have sucked, but you voted him in), while saving my own ass by claiming ignorance to how bad things are, therefore withholding judgement on the actions of the Egyptian people. Honestly as I said before, people like me and many others seriously needed to say absolutely nothing. Specifically http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/opinion/brooks-defending-the-coup.html?hp this nytimes article by David Brooks is a perfect example of the exact opposite opinion to mine, but just as presumptuous and patronizing. I won't get into the specific details on why David Brooks is completely out of line, but I can acknowledge that we're both making asses of ourselves with each comment. So instead of discussing the merits of the situation, I want to bring up the fact that this very occurrence has been happening in Africa for the past 3 decades and yet most African countries only get a small fraction of international attention in comparison to Egypt. Sorry western countries of the world, your bias is showing a little.
       One might argue, " Raymond, African governments are getting toppled over all the time, if Egypt makes this a habit, we'll stop caring about it as well." Such an argument is of course incredibly ignorant, seeing that there have been many successful African governments with steady turnover and healthy political elections, but a good recent counter example to this would be that of Mali. Remember when Mali suffered a coup? No? Really because it was a pretty big deal, seeing that at the time Mali was considered the golden standard for African democracies (some people still think it is, but the coup definitely hurt its perception). And while the Mali coup certainly made it to the front page once, it immediately faded in the background of typical American hooplah (some of that hooplah was important mind you, but there's important hooplah happening now, yet Egypt still  remains the talk of the town).
     I don't know what I'm asking for by writing this. The point is I feel like a hypocritical asshole and misery enjoys company. And I'm kind of tired of people who parade as politics lovers, when in fact they just like being able to talk about the latest political events and don't really care about politics equally. Own up to your bias and realize that most of us don't honestly care about what happens in Egypt. The majority of us are just using it as a spectacle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment